I know the title of this post might seem absurd, but permit me to explain. Four years ago, my Pastor preached a message titled "rest in peace".. The moment I heard the title, I was like "huh? How does that relate to we who are alive and breathing?". Today, my understanding of resting in peace is deeper, and still evolving.
To rest in peace means to enter God's rest while allowing His peace flood your heart, irrespective of what happens around you. Apparently, a living being can actually rest in peace on earth, without being dead. Jesus displayed the reality of this concept while on the boat, in transit with His disciples. He was asleep during a storm! "Suddenly, a severe storm came across the sea. The waves were covering the boat. Yet, Jesus was sleeping." Matt8:24.
I believe the bible describing the storm as 'severe' is to proffer an understanding of how bad the storm was. It was no mere storm, as it covered the boat. Yet Jesus was asleep. I do not think he was so deep in sleep that he could not wake up and shiver at their fate. He knew who He was in God, He knew the power He had, He knew the plan was not for him to die through a storm. Hence, He chilled, took a comfortable position and slept. This explains His admonition to us in Matt11:29; "Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,..you will find rest for your souls".
What confidence do we have when we are faced with the storms of life? How can we take advantage of the rest available for the people of God as stated in Heb 4:9? The only practical way I know is to cast all our cares and burdens on God and leave it there. You can not leave the burden with God, and then wonder how He's going to work it out. I believe this steals the peace we should have, preventing us from entering into God's rest. "I am leaving you with a gift--peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don't be troubled or afraid." John14:27
You can only enjoy the rest of God when you have the peace that Jesus gives. Since I found this secret and decided to live it out, I have enjoyed peace in God's rest. It's inexplicable. I am not moved by what my circumstances tell me. Whatever you may be going through today, I encourage you; "Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus." Phil4:6-7
May you bask in the rest of God and His peace.
P.s I grew up listening to this song, but I recently got a revelation understanding of the lyrics. Listen and be blessed. :)

"You can not leave the burden with God, and then wonder(permit me to translate the word wonder to "worry") how He's going to work it out" that sentence hit home..thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete