As I journey daily in my walk with God, my eyes of understanding are opened with new things being revealed to me. In most cases I live in awareness of these things, but some days I get a different understanding of these prior 'normal things'.
For sometime, I've been asking God about David. Some of my questions were: "How come he wrote most of the Psalms? Especially the Psalms that ascribe everything to God, Psalms that describe God's faithfulness, His loving kindness, never ending mercies and compassion?" David was in battles for a better part of his life. I mean from Goliath, to the Philistines, to the Amalekites, and all the 'ites'. It was one battle after the other. Was he not busy with the task of planning battles, running from Saul, preparing to rule Israel, making plans for Solomon to build the temple? His stories indicate that he was a very busy man. Yet, he wrote most of the Psalms in thanksgiving. How come Adam never wrote a psalm or did something to reflect gratitude? or maybe I'd find out when I get to heaven.
Here's what I have realized; the default state of a heart that knows God is thanksgiving. You get to the point where you just know that you can never be self sufficient but there is a supreme power behind your very being. Inadvertently, you become thankful in everything, living out the admonition in 1Thessalonians5:17 " give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus".
This Psalm sets things in perspective;
You make grass grow for cattle and make vegetables for humans to use
in order to get food from the ground.
You make wine to cheer human hearts,
Olive oil to make faces shine, and bread to strengthen human hearts.
The Lord’s trees, the cedars in Lebanon which he planted, drink their fill.
Birds build their nests in them, Storks make their homes in fir trees.
The high mountains are for wild goats.
The rocks are a refuge for badgers.
He created the moon, which marks the seasons, and the sun, which knows when to set.
He brings darkness, and it is nighttime, when all the wild animals in the forest come out.
The young lions roar for their prey and seek their food from God.
When the sun rises, they gather and lie down in their dens.
Then people go to do their work, to do their tasks until evening.
When you come to the knowledge of this Job description, which God does without help, your default mode will be gratitude.
Lord, I am thankful for your daily love for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment